May is finally here and our team at Travis Shaw, MD is so excited! It’s the time of year we all have eagerly awaited getting outside and enjoying the return of sunshine and gorgeous skies. The promise of summer soon-to-come is in the air!
May is also significant as it is known as Skin Cancer Awareness month. In the US, more than 5 million cases of skin cancer are diagnosed every year, making it America’s most common cancer. Taking care of your skin is always important, but it’s especially crucial when you’re spending more time in the sun during the hot summer months. The sun can wreak havoc on our skin so before going outdoors so remember to apply your sunscreen every single day. We love our lineup of ZO Skin Health Sunscreens and know you will too (more to come on this).
- Cover up with clothing, hats, and UV-blocking sunglasses
- Seek the shade, especially between 10 am and 4 pm
- Avoid tanning, and never use UV tanning beds
- Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher
- Apply sunscreen every two hours daily, even if you’ll just be in direct sunlight for a short time
- Examine your skin, head-to-toe every month
- See a dermatologist at least once a year for a professional skin exam
Did you know?
When our environment changes, it brings new challenges to our skin. The beginning of the summer season is a good reminder that you should have a daily “summer” skincare routine. Because of the increased sun exposure, along with heat and humidity, skin concerns such as excess pigmentation, sun damage, dryness, and sensitivity are more common. Then there’s freckles, sunburn, and acne flare-ups to boot. Remember, one of the best gifts you can give yourself is healthy, radiant skin so we have some tips for you.
How to maintain your #ZOGlow this summer:
- BACK TO BASICS – Cleanse, exfoliate, and tone. Not only do these steps help maintain your skin health but following a daily “Getting Skin Ready” regimen can restore skin barrier function, reduce excess surface pigment, and minimize surface oils and debris.
- BRIGHTEN – For pesky dark spots this newly remastered Brightalive Skin Brightener is the perfect addition to your summer routine. Its non-retinol and non-hydroquinone formula is perfect for warmer months. Brightalive® is clinically proven to increase luminosity, visibly improve skin clarity and fade the appearance of dark spots for a brighter, more even complexion. For more moderate cases, you can add 10% Vitamin C Self-Activating. This potent dose of vitamin C helps brighten the complexion while also providing protection from environmental triggers. With the combined antioxidant, hydration and anti-aging benefits, this dynamic duo of photosensitivity-safe products will keep your complexion radiant all summer long.
- SUNSCREEN IT UP – The most essential skincare product for any skin type is sunscreen. SPF protects your skin from harmful rays from the sun. When selecting an SPF product, make sure it has broad-spectrum protection from different types of light and radiation. All ZO* Sunscreens are formulated with Triple-Spectrum Protection® and include an exclusive antioxidant blend to protect skin from free radical damage and IR-A rays. That also includes blue light from electronics, too, making sunscreen an even more important player in your regimen during the summer months.
Having trouble knowing which sunscreen is best? For beach trips or for perspiration-heavy days, we recommend our Daily Sheer Broad-Spectrum SPF 50 as a great, water-resistant option, offering a non-greasy formula with a sheer matte finish. If you are looking for something to add into your makeup routine or provide on-the-go coverage, Sunscreen + Primer SPF 30 provides buildable coverage with color-enhancing pigments + light reflecting minerals for a luminous glow. Then there’s also Smart-Tone SPF 50, it’s lightweight with a self-adjusting tint that complements most skin tones while providing a healthy, hydrated glow. It also features an exclusive antioxidant complex while protecting against the aging effects of UVA/UVB, IR-A rays and HEV light. But you can always ask one of our skilled providers if you aren’t sure what’s right for you.
So, we have some good news for you: This month only in recognition of Skin Cancer awareness and prevention, we are offering our ZO Skin Health full-size sunscreens at 20% off!! Just the right time to stock up, right?
Now for the fun stuff – it’s time to celebrate Mom’s and all those special women in our lives with a “Mom Makeover”. There are so many variations to this but for this blog we will focus on the face.
Many years ago, society viewed beauty as being young. By the time you were in your 40’s you felt “old.” Thankfully the world has changed drastically for the better. Now, the most appealing moms are in their 40’s, 50’s and even 60’s. So, what has happened in the last decade? Middle-aged moms decided they didn’t want to grow old gracefully and found they found they could turn back the hands of time a bit.
Neurotoxins such as Botox and Dysport for the forehead, glabella (between the eyes) and periorbital (skin around the eyes) help those pesky wrinkles. Filler for your lips, cheeks, and nasolabial folds – also known as laugh or smile lines are also a great choice. There are many additional non-invasive choices as well such as PDO Threads, BBL/Moxi, and SkinPen Microneedling…. the list goes on and on.
Mother’s Day is right around the corner, so don’t you think it’s time to give yourself or the mom who means the most to you the gift of a “Mom Makeover” with these great options only in the month of May:
- Purchase a $300 OR more gift card on our website @travisshawmd.com and use code FIFTYOFF and receive $50 off May 1-8th (limit 2 per patient please)
- HydraFacial Deluxe w/ Dermaplane + 20 units Botox w/ Whitney + ZO Getting Skin Ready Kit = $610 Value for $500
We realize most of us spend our time getting ready for summer by getting our wardrobes and bodies ready. But don’t forget to take care of your face too! You and Mom can look and feel your best this summer with little to no downtime. Our skilled team of providers can help you choose the right option that will give you the beautiful and subtle results you desire.
Call or text us at (804) 775-4559 to schedule your consultation today to begin your “Mom Makeover”.