PDO Threads have become one of our top procedures for patients seeking an improvement in their facial shape or combating sagging skin. This is an in-office procedure that takes about 20 minutes with little to no downtime. PDO sutures have been used safely in the body for many years as internal stitches. PDO stands for Polydiaxonone, which is a complex sugar molecule.
The procedure itself is quick: After a small amount of anesthesia, the suture (thread) is tunneled under the skin to lift and tighten the brow, cheeks, mouth, jawline or neck. Patients can have some swelling and mild discomfort for 24-48 hours after. Once placed, they are completely invisible.
Here are my 5 reasons threads are on top for 2020:
- Threads effectively treat a multitude of issues associated with facial aging: drooping or sagging skin, loss of collagen and skin elasticity, wrinkles around the mouth, jowls, loose neck skin, low brow position.
- Threads complement other cosmetic procedures such as Botox and dermal fillers. Working together, they exert a synergistic effect to give a natural, refreshed appearance
- Threads are a safe procedure. Because they dissolve over time, there are very few side effects. The most common side effects are bruising and swelling associated with the procedure. Infection or more serious issues are very rare.
- Threads exert their benefits in multiple ways. Larger barbed threads re-suspend tissue immediately, then cause collagen formation and fibrosis over time giving results that last 6-24 months. Smaller smooth or twist threads also cause collagenesis and can be used to treat fine lines and wrinkles or add definition to the lips.
- Threads are a cost-effective alternative to surgery. Although they are not the right procedure for every patient, threads can give a lasting effect while avoiding the higher cost or downtime of surgery.
I began using PDO Threads in my practice about 1 year ago and have seen some fantastic results in my patients. Come in for a consultation to learn how PDO threads can help you achieve your goals.